Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Skiing at Crevasse Moraine

I actually wrote this last week, but didn't get to post it until today..

I wanted to blog about my experience today (that would be March 17) skiing but frustratingly enough for some reason neither blogspot nor yahoo will open up for me. My home page works fine though. Maybe this is a sign tthat it's time for bed since I do have to be at work tomorrow.

Just some things that stand out. First I didn't break a leg. Thank goodness and thank God. That would have made it rough to be at work tomorrow and I missed a couple of days last week being sick. Speaking of which it's really great not to be sick anymore.

My performance on the trail wasn't stellar and I was really embarrased by my lack of stamina. Some of which I put down to being sick last week and not exercising and eating right durring that time. Now that I'm not sick I'll get back to my routine of regular exercise. My goal in that area is to burn off at least 300 calories a day - which I was doing pretty well in..

I fell several times and no I wasn't counting. But none of the falls were serious. Snow is not actually soft - as it might apear to be at times but still I didn't hurt myself.

It turns out that a lot of the techniques I've used before as a beginner/Intermediate (at times) level downhill skiier work fine for cross country skiing. And that the bindings on my new boots and skiis are far superior to the ones the movers broke for me when we moved to Cottonwood AZ 5 years ago. So in actuality they really did me a favor in breaking them. That forced me to buy new skis this year and since I had new skis I might as well get new bindngs and therefore new boots to boot. I did however manage to get by with my "old" poles.

I wanted to post some pictures but forgot to bring a camera.. but here's a web site with some great pictures of the trails. http://www.solsticelight.com/aks/gallery/journal/alaska/030301/index.htm

Mark and Stacie from the Mat-Su ski club were nice enough to meet me there and show me the trails and basic techniques.

No comments:

Post a Comment